/Open Call, Call for Entries /
The biannual Open Call is a bit different this year. You are invited to submit work that plays with the idea of “play.” Artists are encouraged to freely interpret the notion of play in all of its meanings. Works that do not speak to the theme will not be accepted.
Exhibition Dates: August 14 – September 18, 2016
Open Call is a non-juried exhibition open to all artists living in Southern CA.
Cost of entry is $20. One piece per artist. No exceptions made.
Submissions will be accepted May 15th to 31, 2016, or until we reach 600 applicants. Submissions will be accepted through our online submission form. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE. Artists will be notified of their drop-off window the week of June 6 to 10.
Cash or check accepted. Payment due upon drop-off.
Guidelines are posted below. Contact us at 323.644.6269 or firstname.lastname@example.org, #opencall2016, #LAMAGplay
Frequently Asked Questions
Open Call 2016 Prospectus
- Artwork must be created after January 1, 2013
- All work must interpret the notion of play or they will not be accepted. Please include in your work statement an explanation of how your work addresses the theme.
- Image of artwork must represent the actual artwork.
- Jpeg file must be labeled: firstname_lastname_titleofpiece_medium_heightxwidthininches.jpeg (i.e. Pablo Picasso_TheOldGuitarist_Oil_32x48.jpeg)
- Cost of submission is $20. It is a non-refundable fee and no changes can be made after you submit. Cash or check accepted upon drop-off of work.
- The following WILL NOT be accepted: multi-panel pieces, video, installations, artwork incorporating or using live animals, artwork weighing over 100lbs, wet or incomplete work. NO EXCEPTION WILL BE MADE.
- Jewelry, and sculpture smaller than 10 x 10 x 10 inches, must have a pedestal with a enclosed Plexi-Glass cover. Failure to provide pedestal and enclosure will result in forfeit of acceptance to exhibition.
- All 2-dimensional works such as watercolor, collage, photography, etc. must be framed. Framed dimensions should be minimum of 10 inches, maximum of 5 feet. Framed works over 24×24 inches MUST use Plexi-Glass. Glass will not be accepted.
- All 3-dimensional works must be free-standing or pedestal MUST be provided by the artist. 3-dimensional works should have no dimension greater than 5 feet.
- Canvas paintings do not require a frame but must have a wire attached by D-rings on the back, or cleat.
- Wall hanging artwork must have D-rings or cleat correctly installed to insure proper hanging and security. Any work brought in without D-rings or cleat will not be accepted. Artists are responsible for installment of D-rings or cleats prior to dropping off artwork.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party. The entrants must be the sole owner of copyright in all photographs entered and must have obtained written permission of any people featured in the entries or their parents/guardians.
- Artwork exhibited in the gallery can only be insured for a maximum of $300. LAMAG has the right to refuse work valued over the amount stated.
- All artwork will be reviewed for safety considerations.
- Artwork will not be accepted nor displayed by the City if it includes or depicts discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
- Department of Cultural Affairs employees are not eligible to participate in the art exhibit
Posted on Wednesday, April 6th, 2016 at 7:54 pm